Saturday, June 29, 2013

It's Time to GEAR UP!

This is what I titled my Facebook photo album - I found it fitting because although we all have been through the GEAR UP program, we really aren't done with this program (as you all know)!  GEAR UP has impacted our lives for the better, and I am so thankful for all that it has provided me - from academic information to GUALA.  So let's GEAR UP for the great year to come!!

I'm sitting at Washington National Airport now, and there are only two of us left in DC at the end of this phenomenal week, and I'm so thankful for this experience, and for meeting each alumni leader.  I know that we will all do amazing things for our society.  It has been less than a full day since we were all together, and I already miss everything and everyone!

Finally, I'll share some highlights from the last 24 hours.

Katie can't get enough of the ice cream at Jason's Deli!

President Obama! #thisistherealthing

The wonderful Timenee Thomas, singing her beautiful rendition of "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

Alma, Maria and I met up with Maria's friend Balde and toured the city by bike! The memorials look stunning at night.

The Captiol is great, too!

Stephani, Alma, Khanha, Brooke and I spent our last hours in DC touring museums like the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History!

Again, to all the other GUALA Leaders: you are all awesome, and I am so glad I got to meet you.  I hope we stay in touch and I look forward to hearing from you throughout the year!

To Judy: Thank you so so so so so so so much for everything.  You are such a passionate, kind, driven, and all around amazing individual.  This week has been so amazing thanks to you.  And thank you to NCCEP for helping to pull this whole experience together!

So let's GEAR UP!

- Cody

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate seeing you all enjoying yourselves
    while you do the work you do.

    Appreciatively

    Robert Valle
    College Access Coordinator
    Chicago GEARUP Alliance

    ReplyDelete