Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Memorable - That's all I can say!

Hello Leaders!


I wanted to share some of my overall thoughts and during my time in Washington D.C.! First off, I want to mention what an amazing and uplifting experience it was being there. I couldn't be happier that my first trip to Washington D.C. was shared with 29 other GUALA members who all come from very different backgrounds, different stories and different personalities. However, the one very important thing that we all had in common was the drive to succeed in different aspects of our lives.

Being so willing to share with one another our struggles of poverty, loss, family hardships, and academic obstacles we faced during our youth was not only courageous but also enlightening and, for me personally, has re-instilled hope in mankind. It's so very easy to get caught up in our daily lives with work, school, and other responsibilities but hearing such inspirational stories and witnessing 30 individuals overcome such obstacles and now pursue amazing accomplishments in their lives has reassured me that there is hope for our future leaders!

My experience in Washington D.C. has not only helped me realize the importance of giving back to our communities and continue working with our Gear UP programs, but also has inspired me be comfortable with sharing my story with those who might be going through the same hardships or even very different ones.

At the end of the day, the message to take away from experience is that everyone can find a strong, cohesive support system; whether that might be family, close friends, mentors, or even, other Gear UP Aluminis. I was very lucky to be apart of this academy and can proudly represent the symbol of COURAGE.



More importantly, I will always have the support system I need to continue mentoring and motivate future leaders knowing that there are 29 other courageous individuals across the nation doing the same!



Thank you all for such an amazing experience and thank you all for allowing me to be apart of your story!  

 Maysoun Chawiche
Connecticut

1 comment:

  1. Maysoun,

    Thank you for these wonderful thoughts. There's nothing like taking a moment to reflect. Like you said, it's easy to get caught in the hustle and bustle of life, which is why moments like these are so crucial.

    Reflection is meaning making! Whether you make meaning by reflecting internally, out loud, on paper, or with an audience... There's always great value in it!

    With all you Alumni Leaders having left the Capitol and now off in your States making future history... This blog has become my reflecting pool! I look forward to rereading many of these posts (and the new ones to come) and commenting for the sake of self, and collective, reflection. I am greatly looking forward to our phone calls too! You'll all have to paint me a picture of your new mentoring, service, and motivational speaking adventures back home!

    I am excited for all that is in store, for the amazing leaders we are embarking on this journey with, and for the history we are so purposefully crafting.

    Miss you all!!!

    ~ JSM

    ReplyDelete