Saturday, July 27, 2013

NCCEP/GEAR UP Youth Congress 2013


When the wonderful Diane Charles wrote to the GUALAs before our DC training to let us know of the opportunity to volunteer this summer at NCCEP’s Annual Conference I did not think twice about taking the opportunity. However, it did take me a while to submit my application because of my schedule, but I did it just on time. When I was made aware that I would be assisting NCCEP and the GEAR UP for Excellence team at the NCCEP/GEAR UP Youth Congress I was excited about the opportunity but I did not realize how much of an impact it was going to have on me.

The training from Justin and Greg from GEAR UP for Excellence was great as always and the students were amazing. It is surreal that only 3 days of interaction impacted me so much. Seeing the Youth Congress literally break through fears like public speaking and at the end of the 3 days be on a stage in front of approximately 1,700 GEAR UP professionals presenting their ideas was probably the most rewarding experience of the whole conference. As GUALA Alumni leaders we seek to empower the next generation to believe in the greatness that is inside of them so that they can do the same for their peers back home and create change. It was pretty amazing seeing their greatness radiate throughout the ballroom as they presented.

Another thing that impacted me was when the GUALAs got to share our experience with GEAR UP to the GEAR UPs from around the country and the feedback that I received from individuals from different GEAR UP programs was amazing because their words showed that the GUALAs' collective efforts in making a positive change in education policy for younger generations does not go unnoticed. Their words showed that together we are creating change little by little.

All in all, I grew from this experience just like the rest of Youth Congress. Thank you NCCEP and GEAR UP for giving me the opportunity to add more tools to my tool belt and for reiterating what Margaret Mead once said: 
‎"Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Some of the GEAR UP Alumni Leadership Academy Alumni Leaders with 
Nathan R. Monell (NCCEP's President & CEO) and Judy Martinez (GUALA Program Manager) before panel. 

If you want to see what happened at youth congress click here! → AWESOMENESS


Keep inspiring y'all,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment