Friday, September 13, 2013

GUALA at The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics Back-To-School Texas Tour


On September 4, 2013, I had the opportunity to attend a town hall on Hispanic college access and completion that was organized by the The University of Texas-Pan American along with The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics (WHIEEH). WHIEEH is an initiative that engages Hispanic students, families, and community to improve education for Hispanics. This town hall was to talk about concerns that the Rio Grande Valley community had and also to highlight the efforts that have made progress in my area.

Attending this town hall was beneficial because there were so many people to network with. People that are doing the exact same thing that the GEAR UP Alumni Leadership Academy (GUALA) is trying to do for education. As a first-generation Hispanic college student this was the perfect event for me to learn about what is being done for students like me within my community and around the country. My education and the quality of it is very important to me and I am blessed to have the opportunity to attend this event but most importantly for being part of GUALA!

Keep inspiring y'all,
Maria

To learn more about The GEAR UP Alumni Leadership Academy click here.
To learn more about The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment