Monday, May 19, 2014

TRiO Appreciation

Hello Everyone,

Since September of last year I have been volunteering with TRiO at North Carolina State University. As a volunteer, I help plan and facilitate various TRiO events on NC State’s campus. I’ve had a blast working with the faculty and staff at TRiO. They all gave me warm welcomes into the program and gave me the opportunity to work alongside them and with TRiO students from nearby counties in North Carolina. I love everything about the TRiO program at NCSU, but what I appreciate the most is its effort toward helping future generations gain college access and college readiness. The program helps high school students achieve their dream of getting accepted to the college of their choice. I wish to take this blog to show my appreciation for the program and show how the program helps TRiO students reach their potential.
From personal experience, I know that the SAT/ACT can be an obstacle to reaching the goal of going to college. Back when I was in high school, my GEAR UP program at Fayetteville State University helped me with my preparation for both the SAT and ACT. They held plenty of workshops and info sessions that gave me many tips and tricks for doing well on the two tests. Most high school students on the verge of college entry view the SAT/ ACT as a challenging and intimidating hurdle. Because of this, the TRiO program holds very informative SAT/ACT workshops and review sessions. Certain SAT/ACT workshops display useful tips and strategies about the SAT and ACT. These tips and strategies educate students on how to prepare before the exam, how to test during the exam, and even how to act once the exam is over. SAT/ACT review sessions include mock SAT and ACT testing which give TRiO students the opportunity to determine the subjects that they struggle with as well as the subjects they excel in. Some of the SAT/ACT review sessions also include step-by-step walkthroughs of the CFNC website to give TRiO students access to practice exams, daily review questions, and additional advice regarding the SAT and ACT. The TRiO students who attend these workshops and review sessions always walk away with more confidence and knowledge about the exam. I especially enjoy working with TRiO students during these events because I am able to pass down the tips and tricks I learned from my GEAR UP program. 
Like the SAT and ACT, another challenging hurdle of attending college is college expenses. The TRiO program at NCSU believes that the best way for high school students to overcome this hurdle is by being aware of the FASFA and being vigilant of scholarship and grant opportunities. The financial workshops hosted by TRiO attempt to educate both TRiO students and parents about the FASFA and financial aid. For some of these workshops, staff members from NCSU’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships come to inform parents and TRiO students on what the FASFA is, how to apply for it online, when to apply, and how to avoid fake FASFA websites. Because the presenters of these workshops work in financial aid offices and constantly deal with the FASFA, they are able to provide parents with tips to filling out the FASFA in order to optimize the amount financial aid received. Other financial workshops have TRiO faculty members speak to parents and TRiO students about the importance of scholarships and grants and the different ways to search for them. The presenters at these workshops are parents who are experienced at searching and applying for scholarships and grants. The TRiO students, and especially their parents, who come to the workshops love learning new ways to earn free money. Both parents and TRiO students always leave the financial workshops with the motivation to use the new things they learned to fill out the FASFA or go scholarship hunting.
            I, along with the TRiO staff that I work with, enjoy helping TRiO students reach their potential and achieve their dream of going to college. As a GUALA GEAR UP Alumni Leader, I love working with the TRiO program at NCSU. Volunteering with TRiO has given me the chance to give back to the TRiO community. I look forward to volunteering with TRiO in the future and continuing to give back to the TRiO community even after my GUALA year of service.

Best of wishes to all,

Julius Nani

No comments:

Post a Comment