Tuesday, December 17, 2013

THANK YOU GUALA

Hola  A Todos! :)
      Well, I am here at home (finally school is over! I get to sleep!) waiting on my little brother who had a basketball game out of town.. ANYWAYS, I have two separate blog posts that I intend to type!
      This first one is my way of saying thank you to GUALA! Honestly, I have changed as a person ever since I got Judy's acceptance e-mail! I used to believe in GEAR UP but I never really thought that it was a big deal. When I was in middle and high school I experienced GEAR UP and met lots of people, and it changed my life. But when I got on that plane to go to Washington, I was expecting nothing more than old people blabbering over and over how important GEAR UP is... Well, I admit that I was wrong.

 GEAR UP to me was nothing more than going on trips with my crazy friends... Leaving my tiny little town and exploring big cities!
 Taking random pictures in front of statues that we did not even understand! GEAR UP provided tour guides but we were too busy in our teenage stages to even want to pay attention!
And, of course, I fell in love. Every summer camp was different, every person that I met was a person that would be forever in my heart. This guy ^ was a heartbreak! (sad I know!) But a friend nevertheless..  A lesson learned and memories made!



     When I was on the plane to Washington, I couldn't help but think of all these things. I wanted to think of clever things to say to the others (a lawyer and a girl who was already a teacher!). I knew that no matter what I said on the first day, I couldn't compete.

    Honestly I did not even know why I got chosen. Luck I guess. I did know that Patrick Clingman, my director at the time of GUALA, had changed my life in high school without even knowing it. I was not the best student in high school, sad to say, and I ended up getting into big trouble.. My senior year we decided to make a BIG party, and I mean BIG aannndd we got caught -_-. Yep.

    Anyways, GUALA taught me so much. When I got off the plane, I immediately started small talk with Maria who was looking all nervously for her luggage! Haha then we got on the mysterious black van with Hector and Juan! (Hector who, in my opinion talked too much and Juan who I thought didn't talk at all) haha I love you guys! Hector will be the president some day I think.

   Everything changed from that moment on! I am happy to say, I made a lot of great friends. I think it's safe to say that I consider all of you like brothers and sisters at this point.. Every time I am with my GEAR UP kids I'm wishing that all of you lived just around the block!

    Not only did I meet great people, I also got the chance to see what GEAR UP is really like. From the money to the people, to the places to the kids! I got the chance to see that this program is not only great because it brings college awareness, it is great because it brings something more powerful.. LOVE. Every GEAR UP experience that I ever went through was memorable because I always felt loved. I was either loved by someone or loved someone. As a mentor, I learn that our kiddos come for the trips to have fun and because they know that we LOVE to have them. WE love to be with them, we love to talk to them, share, teach and our LOVE is for everyone.

   When I was in Washington, I learned to love what I was fighting for. I think that the one person who made a huge impact was Judy. I thought she was just going to be some lady talking about how great GEAR UP was.. But she did more than that! Judy stuck by our side from 7 in the morning til bed time! She was there, supporting us, loving us. I honestly have no idea how she could be so cheerful every day! I would have been chewing people's heads off by the 3rd day! But she did it. That woman is amazing! She showed me her love in what she was doing. She was determined for us to get the most out of everything and we did. I think that all of us learned and experienced a great deal!

Judy and I in San Fransisco! She not only taught us GEAR UP stuff, she also taught us how to look thinner in pictures ;) Leaning forward!


 I am so thankful for everyone that I met! Elizabeth I miss the most! She and I bonded so amazingly! She's such an amazing person and oddly enough, we had ALOT in common! Why does Oregon have to be so far from Texas!

 I am also thankful because I got to meet a fake president.. I honestly thought it was him! I wish it would have been him (secretly I tell people that it was the real Obama!)
 And, of course, I can't ever forget my secret service! BEN! Omg I can't believe you're getting married! She is one lucky gal! She gets to hear your amazing voice and accent every day! Gotta say, Maria, Yari and I all were in love with you when you sang to us! Ah! :) And of course, WALFRE! I love that guy! I'm like in love with EVERYONE! I miss you guys so much!

     And after pouring my heart out, I am sad to say that I'm going to bed! It's like 1:26 a.m. over here but I'm a grandma! I don't know how to end this or who to thank for all these unforgettable experiences.. I was so blessed the day that I got chosen to be a part of GUALA. I guess it was in the cards for me to receive such a huge blessing! Meeting all of you was such a life changing experience! I think all of the GUALAS and Judy and Daniel and everyone else were amazing! I can't imagine my life without any of you in it!
   Ya! Ok I'm leaving now because I'm getting all cheesy and dramatic like a teenage girl! I hope you all have a WONDERFUL day today! (Whenever you read this) Well, I hope you all have a wonderful day every day! And I am wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas! I can't wait for Christmas to get here! :D




                                                     Signing out! xoxo!
                                                   Daisy Valentina Perez <3


No comments:

Post a Comment