Sunday, November 10, 2013

My Gear Up LOVE

Hello All!
My this will be my first formal blog! I wanted to share with you stories of love and achievement that I have experienced as a Gear Up student, Gear Up Assistant and GUALA! I am going to use pictures as a proof to my stories!

Story #1: Hello, I Am From Here


This is a picture that I took of our first Gear Up Summer Camp in 2012. I was an assistant this year and had my own group of kids to look after! This picture is a picture that I really love because it shows how one summer camp got our kids so close together! This picture has kids from three of the four schools that their grant covers; Presidio, Alpine and Del Rio. The school that did not attend this camp was Terlingua. Anyways, I think this first camp was such a success because our kids were excited, they were always positive and wanting to do awesome things and they made friends with everyone! :) By day two of our camp, kids were going around introducing themselves to others and making new friends! Gear Up gave them the opportunity to make new friends!


Story #2: Scientists and Goggles! 






This picture is also of our kiddos in the first camp. They would go to classes during the mornings and they happened to get a hold of a lab and use lab equipment to make volcanoes! They were so excited to be learning about volcanoes and they were even more excited when they got a chance to create one of their own and make it explode! The kids loved being in college classrooms and being able to learn in them while also making new friends! They looked like such little professional scientists!

Story #3: Love For Our Lost One <3


Just recently, one of our GEAR UP students from Del Rio, Texas passed away. He was in a horrible accident that cost him his life. This student was in our Gear Up grant but I never got the privilege to meet him. He never attended any of our Gear Up camps so I cannot say that I knew him but my kids were hurting so I am sure that he was a great person. I have a Gear Up page on my facebook and one of my girls from Alpine, Texas, a school about 3 hours away posted this picture. She wrote with it "Victoria and I put this on our hands in loving memory of Alfredo Garcia". These girls were supporting Del Rio's pain 300 miles away!


That is all for now :) I have many more stories to share but not enough time to write them all tonight!

Signing out! Daisy Valentina Perez :)

2 comments:

  1. I am sad to hear this! and especially to have read it so late! I am super excited about all you are doing Daisy! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw your comment even later! Yes it was an extremely sad moment for our schools but I was shocked at how they were united in their pain even though they were miles apart :) It shows how GEAR UP really does unite people and the LOVE that is shared!

      Delete